Subscribe to my blog

Sunday, March 20, 2011

The raibow colours of holi !!

Holi series- the whole rainbow!! Oil on canvas "8 x 8" inches
                                    © 2011 Nayna Shriyan

 
            Wishing all my readers a very 'Happy Holi' !!  Today is the day that all the colours of holi come together, as I am writing this post I can hear my neighborhood children having the time of their lives, most are completely unrecognizable having been smeared with so many colours, their parents are surely going to have to hose them down to know which is their kid!!
        Today my painting symbolizes what any street, wall or building lobby looks like, a complete riot of colours. Everybody is coloured, and nobody is spared,and all that do complain get the phrase" Bura na mano holi hai"  !! (meaning - do not mind it is holi today ') shouted at them. Reverllers in their enthusiasm even manage to colour the stray dogs roaming about, it is not unusual to see them walking around with bright patches of pink on their bodies.
         The one other aspect of holi that simply has to be mentioned here is without a doubt a drink called 'Bhang' The extract of this plant (a variety of hemp) is used in various recipes chiefly a kind of milk based drink containing almonds called 'Thandai' Although intoxicating it is widely consumed on this day. In small quantities it is quite mild but in a slightly medium quantities, it can cause some pretty weird behavior ! 
         Festivals in India are always colourful and have a lot of aspects that are unique to them, my favorite aspect is the fact that this festival colours everybody so uniformly that you truly cannot differentiate between the castes, religions or classes of the people. Everybody looks exactly the same- blissfully happy!!
         These are some of my memories that I have been sharing over the past week, along with my expressions in colour.  I hope you enjoyed reading and viewing my work. Would love to hear any unique or funny stories that you may have related to this day. Wishing all a very colourful year ahead  :)

2 comments:

Hi
would love to hear your opinions, do leave a comment ( or two if you wish !! ) :)