Subscribe to my blog

Friday, March 11, 2011

From Dishes to Bowls!!

           Having decided to de-clutter, I was going through some of the junk in the kitchen, when I happened upon some old copper plates. These plates are usually used in worship rituals, but  I found that we seemed to have a large number of them, lying around, (way more than required)!! Guess someone goofed and went on a shopping spree!! 
Rose bowl , vitreous enamel on copper               ©2011Nayna Shriyan










             Being a metal-artist to the core, my first thought was can I use these? Of course the natural answer was -Bowls! I decided to convert the dishes to bowls, while I had previously been working on similar projects with my gulmohar bowl and blue and pink bowls, I wanted to take these to another level. So I filled them with some pitch and before I knew it there were two flowers beaming up at me :)The bowl with the white flower was inspired by a delicate white flower that grows in my little balcony garden, and the second one a beautiful single red rose!.These two bowls are different in the sense that I have repoussed them before enameling them.
White flower, vitreous enamel on copper     ©2011 Nayna Shriyan
Here's how they look post enameling.  So what do you think? Should I have left them repoussed or does the colour bring out a better look in them?Although this way they can be viewed differently from both the sides. I am planning more bowls but I am waiting to hear some opinions before I go and repousse them !

1 comment:

  1. Hello Narayan
    I am so sorry for the layout glitch, I have now worked it out. I too love colours a lot and that is why I have not been able to just doing metalwork. You are right, I will certainly continue enameling, as I am in love with the process of it as well :)
    Warm Regards
    Nayna

    ReplyDelete

Hi
would love to hear your opinions, do leave a comment ( or two if you wish !! ) :)