Thursday, April 16, 2015

Masks in a whole new Avatar

If you know me at all, you know I am crazy about Masks. Recently my father was complaining about not having a proper place to hang up his shirts so they wouldn't get wrinkled. I suggested we could put up some hooks. Then it hit me shy not make the hooks into something  decorative. So I America up with some Mask designs
My inspiration were the Tiki masks I figured the Masks would be the decorative element and the youngest would be the actual hooks. 
Mask one fresh from being cleaned 
Mask 2 fresh from being cleaned 
I used bronze for the base & brass for the ears, tounge & other elements. I made four of them unfortunately ended up using only two of them but here they are. I oxidised the bronze base & cleaned & buffed the brass elements. 
All four designs done 


The two that I ended up using fixed on the wall
Finally my Dad's clothes have a great place to be hung up on !
Aren't they cool, plus as a bonus when the shirts and hangers are not there the Masks look like wall art! :)


Sunday, January 25, 2015

Dragonfly box

Dragon fly box
© 2015 Nayna Shriyan
Copper

For as long as I can remember I have been crazy about boxes something about antiqued, carved, vintage boxes that gets me very intrigued, perhaps its just the idea of discovering something exciting inside that fascinates me.

A few months ago I made this box and although I have been meaning to make more, it might be a while before I get the opportunity to do so. Meanwhile here is the dragonfly box! Drop a line if  you think of a subject I could use to grace my next box :)



Monday, September 1, 2014

Copper flowers & leaves for a new wall piece

Fold forming has become my newest passion, after having tentatively tried out a few folds, basic line folds etc to create a cuff , I decided I had to be brave enough to try out some of the more complicated folds. So I decided on the start fold, looked pretty and I thought it might be easy enough. Well turned out its not exactly easy but yes it was a lot of fun and my first attempt turned out to be quite nice looking! To begin with I used 24 Gauge copper as recommended in the book on fold forming ,that has pretty much become my bible :) unfortunately I realised I wasn't strong enough when it came to bending the sheet with my bare hands :(
So I bought some 26 ga. & then these were the results


          Starfold in 4 by 4 inches


              Starfold in 2 x 2 inches

           Leaves made in ruffle style with a line fold

The star folds as well as the leaves  are all going on a new piece, I am keeping it a secret for now ;) but  before you see there is an even more fun piece coming up !! Stay tuned :)