Subscribe to my blog

Sunday, February 13, 2011

While I am most passionate about enameling, water colours and oils are also favorite media, so when the artist network TV offered an invitation to an ( webinar) online water colour demonstration for tips on painting luminous landscapes I couldn't resist !! I am so glad I could for I had the most amazing time , attending my very first webinar of a watercolour demonstration,
The demonstration was by Mr Sterling Edwards an accomplished water colour artist, he has written books and also has published two DVDs of demonstrations of watercolours.
He started by talking about his work and the unique style of water colour painting that he had developed and then went on to talk about his four step method for creating luminous landscapes. The very first point that he cleared out was that his style of work was a very loose style requiring bold brush work and very little drawing and detailing. Something that was quite refreshing and different as most teachers insist on putting down every tiny little detail.

  •  Step 1   : leaving out enough white on the paper so as to show the presence of light
  •  
  •  Step 2   :Apply the darkest of darks to suggest shadows, then apply more transparents in the foreground and add details to the the foreground and center of the painting
  •  
  • Step  3  : Selective Glazing Eliminate unwanted whites with washes leaving only the areas meant for    the brightest of the highlights.
  •  
  • Step  4  : Refining and defining,  Add all the details and focus on the foreground .
I cant wait to try out these four steps, hope I can do justice to the process :) !!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Hi
    would love to hear your opinions, do leave a comment ( or two if you wish !! ) :)