Subscribe to my blog

Sunday, May 30, 2010

The art of the gulmohar flower

Every summer, I wait for the first flowers of the gulmohar. The advent of the first splash of bright fiery orange colour brings a much needed relief fro the harsh sun and humidity of my city. The gulmohar flowers always fascinate me; they stand out among the green carpet of leaves, silently proclaiming their individuality.
      Throughout the year the tree of the gulmohar is either green or completely bare, giving the impression that its dead, gone and then come spring the leaves start sprouting out and then come may, the fiery red orange flowers come out in all their glory. The one thing that completely fascinates me about the flowers is that not only are they pretty as a whole, but even when, the flowers fall and actually fall apart, they still retain that beauty and that individuality, each little petal with that perfect shape, distinct colouring says 'I am different' . most flowers when they fall of the tree look so morose sad almost, but not the gulmohar flowers, each flower, each petal lies flat on the ground allowing its perfect shape to be seen and admired.
       I intend to work with the gulmohar flowers as my inspiration in a series of cloisonne enameled bowls, and will be recording my experiences with these amazing flowers. I will be using both the shape, the colour and of course experimenting with how much this spunky flowers colours can stand out among a variety of different colours and shapes. I will be posting updates and pics of my experiments here soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi
would love to hear your opinions, do leave a comment ( or two if you wish !! ) :)